Pages


Thursday, August 12, 2010

Inspiration in Red



OK, I wasn't exactly inspired when I made these beads, but rather was trying to make a similar bead to the one in my last beady post that turned out even and with red ends.  As is frequently the case, at least with me, the inspiration comes afterward.
I partially achieved my objective, and even more, since I believe that some copper green stringer worked its way into the project and I like the result.  I also am going to attribute the inspiration of these beads to another artist working around the turn of the century.  The way the reactive stringer and twistie fumes and reacts with the apple blush and the lines formed within and around the silvered ivory remind me of some really cool book illustrations I have.

Arthur Rackham was a British illustrator whose best known work was done from 1900 or so through the First World War.  This is what Wikipedia has to say about him.
I have The Romance of King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table written around 1917 (I do not have the first edition but the one I have still has the cool art work), a framed print of Tatiana Sleeping from A Midsummer Night's Dream, and a couple of smaller prints from Das Rheingold.  The picture above is from Wagner's Ring and the one below is from A Midsummer Night's Dream.  These sort of show what I'm talking about.
Hopefully the paintings and illustrations I'm showing give a bit of insight into some of my creative process.  If nothing else, have a couple pieces of eye candy.  It's totally non-fattening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!