Pages


Friday, August 20, 2010

Polymer Clay Tryout

I've made Christmas ornaments and things out of polymer clay before, but never anything with any degree of complexity.  This is my first effort at anything more complicated than gingerbread cutouts and snowmen and stuff.  Naturally, I had to try more than one thing at a time, in this case blending colors to fade and inlaying a tree.  I'm pretty happy with how this turned out, all in all.  It still needs the benchwork, like sanding and drilling and whatnot, but it works in the heat and can be carried on late at night without annoying the neighbors.  All the scraps and trimmings got rolled into an egg shape and will become some sort of spring ornament.  I was surprised by how much darker the colors looked after baking.  Shows what happens when you've only done a few things before.

3 comments:

  1. I love the fading you did on that piece!! The tree came out really nice too!

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I now have a great deal of respect for polymer clay artists. It looks a lot simpler than it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I see your twisty tree motif!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!