Pages


Sunday, June 27, 2010

Yay! It's a vessel!

 I made a vessel!  I used CiM sapphire because I love the color and it is perfect for it.  It is stiff enough to hold its shape while I fool around with it in the flame and stable enough to not crack when I forget to reheat as often as I should.  Then I remember and bang it back into the flame and it behaves itself and doesn't blow apart.  This only happened to me once, when I first started, but I still have the bead on my bench somewhere.  It looks like it split open from the middle.
 I was very pleased with how this turned out.  I got the shape "right,"  not that there is a right shape other than to have a hole in one end, but it was the shape I had in mind.  It holds about 1ml so I can use it, and it's pretty symmetrical so it won't look bad hanging from a chain.  No, this one isn't going away.  I'm keeping this.
There were a couple things I feel I can improve on next time.  The handles are just a little too narrow to fit a chain of a size that will balance the bulk of the piece.  I'll use jumprings, but next time they are going to be bigger.

It isn't precisely symmetrical and I'm not sure if I can do this, but I need to try again and again before I give it up as a lost cause.

This is the biggie.  When I made it, I was thinking of it as a different type of hollow bead rather than as a transparent object with a bottom that would be transparent as well.  Therefore, I built up glass on the end of the mandrel  and worked it back toward the center rather than working straight toward the bottom.  I have removed the bead separator but am left with a rough surface where the separator was.


Still, I will proudly wear this and if I even think about the flaws it will be as a learning experience.
Finally, just because it's so blue, here's me playing with the editing software.

3 comments:

  1. I like it! Always fun and enlightening to try something new.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! Such a nice looking blue too :)

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I am going to be needing much more of this blue.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!