Pages


Saturday, March 20, 2010

CiM adamantium

One of the newer Creation is Messy colors, adamantium, was begging to be tested.  It is a shimmery greyish brown rod that turns into the perfect Hersheys Kiss chocolate when made into a plain bead.  With the emphasis on turquoise this year and the prediliction for pairing it with brown, this seems like the perfect glass to use.  It plays very nice, being smooth and workable and generally a joy to melt.  It isn't soupy but not so stiff that it pulls the bead release off on a moderately cold wind.  Bead 1 is plain and it is easy to see why I think it is a nice milk chocolate color.

Now things start getting interesting.  I stupidly made these beads roughly the same size and shape, and I am not used to working with copper leaf.  These facts being stated, the rest of this paragraph is an educated guess.  Bead 2 is with silver foil, melted in.  I am pretty sure of this one, since tiny beads of silver dot the surface.  I really like the surface texture of this bead.  3 is with silver foil, melted in, reduced, and encased in clear.  I think.  The green works under the clear and seems to rise above it.  4 is with a new toy, copper leaf.  The directions I got said to encase it and I wanted to see what would happen if I didn't.  The chocolate brown goes greenish and strange metallic  spots appear on the surface, with a rough texture almost like devitrification or metallic special effects.  Copper foil is weird because the moment a hot bead is marvered onto it, it goes all ashy and won't melt in, sort of like palladium leaf.  I am happy to say that with the addition of more heat, it does eventually melt in.  5 is with the copper leaf according to the directions.  Neat set of bubbles under the surface and nice patina under the encasement.  I am still happy I broke the rules just because.

Now we get into the silver glasses.  I wisely made these different shapes.  6 is with DH aurae, reduced and 7 is with aurae, reduced, encased and doing that purple thing I love.  I'll do this again.  8 is with DH triton and I like the multicolor reduction thing going on.  9 is with triton, reduced and encased, and while I over-reduced the triton on the left side and under-reduced it in patches on the right, it still has intriguing possibilities.  I like the way the triton pops out, almost into the encasement.

10 is with CiM tuxedo, and the same separation thing is going on.  I think this is the standard reaction.  11 is with copper green and there is no reaction.  Considering how I will use this combination someday, this is a good thing.  With 12, I decided to kill 2 birds with one stone and test EDP and plum silver simultaneously.  What was I thinking?  In order to get plum silver to do its thing I have to devitrify the EDP.  There is a hint of a plum silver thing going on but I didn't want to push it.  13 is with ivory and, happily, there is no reaction.  14 is with intense black and the same separation thing happens.  And the black takes over the bead.  C'est la vie.

Will I buy this color again?  Definitely.  It fills a niche that no other color so far has, which is to reproduce chocolate in glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!