Pages


Friday, February 19, 2010

Effetre anice white again


I had to do this one again, since my results varied from the Mind Melt test batch so greatly.  In this case, I think my torch setup has more to do with my relative success with this color than anything else.  On the invoice it clearly states that it is shocky and the rods must be preheated.  This is a rarity and the only color I've seen this warning on so far.  So I had to go and see what it did.  I am used to working very carefully and introducing glass very, very slowly to the flame, since I am terrified of hot glass burning holes in me, or worse yet, the floor.  I started up very high in the flame and worked my way down.  No problem, not a single pop.  I think because the HotHead is much cooler than an oxypropane torch, I could get away with this.  Besides, I like the semitranslucent white.

1 is plain.  I didn't bother encasing this. 
2 is with silver foil melted in.  Nice yellowing, not what I was expecting at all.
3 is with silver foil melted in and encased in clear.  The yellowing was diluted.
4 is with DH triton, just melted in and reduced.  Not as much yellowing as I expected, based on my experience with CiM peace, which this glass superficially resembles.
5 is with triton, melted in, reduced and encased.  I didn't get as much color as I wanted on this side of the bead.
6 is with copper green red.  Again, more reddish than green, but I didn't really mind whatever I got.
7 is with CiM tuxedo.  There's a whole lot of webbing here, which was a surprise.
8 is with silvered ivory stringer, melted in.  This bead was a pleasant surprise.  It looks like some kind of jasper.  I might do a set of these.

The beads on the right were a set I wanted to do earrings with or something but couldn't get the millefiori to look right.  The grey bead is my favorite, but I haven't been able to do this since.  I might have badly burned or reduced the bead, or it might have been something weirder.  I just don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!